How to use CBD oil for fibromyalgia
How can CBD oil help fibromyalgia? If we analyze the symptoms suffered by patients with this disease, the first conclusion is clear: the main symptoms are also the conditions for which CBD is most recommended. We are talking about chronic pain in muscles and bones, insomnia, anxiety, depression and fatigue. Therefore, the link between fibromyalgia and CBD seems that it can be beneficial for treatment. Let's analyze it.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic disease and it is unknown why it appears. These two features are also common in the pathologies that we highlight in the section with CBD oil from Upani. Another frequent characteristic is that they are diseases in which treatment with conventional drugs is relatively effective. It is a matter of living with the disease and improving the quality of life as much as possible, avoiding side effects.
If you suffer from fibromyalgia, or it is present in your close environment, you know that the intensity of the symptoms fluctuates without a clear or known reason. Each patient has a specific symptomatology, although similar, and the intensity of the discomfort varies from one person to another, even from one time of the year to another without knowing why.
Are there types of fibromyalgia?
More than types of fibromyalgia there are degrees of the disease. What is common is that people diagnosed with fibromyalgia have symptoms compatible with people who have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome. In fact, sometimes there is an associated diagnosis of these 3 pathologies, which is a challenge for the patient and for defining the treatment.
Fibromyalgia means "pain in the muscle fibers" and is one of the rheumatic diseases. Depending on the degree of the disease, the patient is more or less affected in his daily routines. In certain cases 'hyperalgesia' appears: sensation of pain above what is expected for certain stimuli. Or the so-called 'allodynia': pain due to causes that do not cause damage, such as friction.
When other diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, are ruled out and there is widespread chronic pain for more than 3 months, the diagnosis of fibromyalgia is made. It is a process that takes a long process of visits and tests and concludes with a clinical diagnosis. And it is that there is no concrete test, nor analytical of any type, that evidences the existence of the disease. So, once the clinical diagnosis is obtained, it is time to get the treatment right and seek the best possible quality of life.
CBD Oil for Fibromyalgia: Symptoms to Treat
Fibromyalgia occurs in approximately 2% of the Spanish population, with a very high incidence in women. Therefore, about 900,000 people struggle with it every day in our country. Many of them have added CBD oil treatments for fibromyalgia. What symptoms can be mitigated with the use of cannabinoids?
1. is one of the main symptoms and intensifies the generalized discomfort. That is why fibromyalgia treatments seek to improve the quality of sleep from the beginning in order to reach deep sleep phases that mitigate the rest of the symptoms.
2. Depression and : between 20 and 30% of fibromyalgia patients suffer from depression. Nothing unusual considering that for many of them, feeling really well is the exception.
3. Chronic pain in muscles and bones. In addition to the usual headaches.
4. Fatigue associated with lack of deep sleep.
5. Constipation alternating with diarrhea, a symptom compatible with people suffering from Irritable Bowel Disease.
6. Difficulty concentrating and low mood: consequences related to and derived from all of the above symptoms.
Cannabidiol oil and fibromyalgia: how it helps in treatment
Cannabidiol can be an interesting active ingredient especially for people for whom treatment with conventional drugs has not worked. The aim of CBD oil for fibromyalgia is to improve the overall condition of the patient and to enter a positive vicious circle: better sleep, lower stress levels, promote natural physiological processes such as reduced inflammation, improve mood and thus reduce fatigue.
It should be remembered that the , present in our body, regulates the central nervous system. Cannabinoids boost the activation of this system and enhance the natural regulation of physiological processes. In other words, they help to improve factors such as energy balance, metabolism, stress and anxiety response, autonomic nervous system and pain response.
Another key factor in the use of CBD oil for fibromyalgia treatment is its anti-inflammatory effect. In fact, we speak of CBD because of the increasingly strong scientific evidence that supports this in studies. A remarkable percentage of patients report a reduction in chronic pain directly related to the decrease in inflammation.
Lowering stress levels and improving sleep quality is the basis for improving quality of life and living better with fibromyalgia. In addition, these improvements help to get used to include yoga and meditation routines aimed at achieving the same goals. And what do the studies say?
Studies on fibromyalgia and CBD
Some researchers work on the hypothesis that fibromyalgia amplifies pain sensations. That is, it affects how the brain processes pain signals. Along the same lines, some studies focus on whether CBD can cause the sensation of pain to diminish:
1. 2015 and 2017 researchers from Israel concluded that cannabinoids can be an "effective and safe treatment for fibromyalgia if consistency is maintained from 6 months onwards." They added: "Our data indicate that medical cannabis could be a promising therapeutic option for the treatment of fibromyalgia, especially for those who failed standard pharmacological therapies."
2. 2018 Stockings et al. published a detailed review of clinical trials examining the ability of cannabinoids to treat chronic pain. They described 7 studies of patients with fibromyalgia. Twenty-nine percent of them reported a one-third reduction in pain intensity.
3. Already in 2020, research in Isarael reported that "almost half of the patients were able to reduce the usual drugs by introducing medical cannabis in the treatment of fibromyalgia".
4. recent US survey of 2,701 fibromyalgia patients reported that 32% of patients include CBD oil in their fibromyalgia treatment. And that another 29% had included it at some point in the past. The researchers concluded that it was evident that a percentage of patients notice improvement by including CBD in their treatment for fibromyalgia, although more research is needed to rigorously certify the therapeutic value of cannabidiol in this disease.
Opinions about CBD oil and fibromyalgia
For people affected by fibromyalgia, support groups are very important. Bonds between people going through the same thing and who understand each other at the first time. From Upani we have the challenge of promoting this community of patients who treat fibromyalgia with CBD oil. If you are one of those people, leave us your opinion by clicking on the following button:
Canna Foundation: studies and researches the Cannabis plant and its active principles, particularly with regard to its effects on the human body and mind.
2. European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (2019). Medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids: questions and answers for policy development. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg.
Kalapa Clinic: composed of a multidisciplinary team of doctors and researchers, united by the sincere opinion that Cannabis Sativa L has countless possible therapeutic uses.
4. Studies linked in the 'fibromyalgia and CBD studies' section of this article.
Links to these sources of information are found throughout this article, dedicated to the uses of CBD oil for fibromyalgia.